06 October 2008

New Herb and Veggie Garden


With the start of spring, I decided that it is time for a new project in the garden.
And with rising food costs in South Africa, and the emphasis on healthy living and organic produce, a veggie and herb garden makes perfect sense. We do have an existing herb garden filled with Chives, Onions, Parsley, Mint, Rosemary, Thyme and Oregano. But I want to include a few extra herbs, and definitely loads of veggies.

So hubby started with the building the new garden yesterday, but I don't expect to start planting before end October. The building will still take a while, and then we need to add the soil and the compost.

I am having trouble deciding what I want to plant. There is such a big variety,and I can't plant everything on my list at once.

So here is by list, I will have to pick a few favourites to start off with and expand the garden from there.

Herbs:



  • Flat leave parsley (we have curly)

  • Coriander

  • Basil

  • Dill

  • Fennel (I'm not sure if this is a vegetable or a herb)

  • Marjoram

  • Sage

  • Savory

  • Tarragon

Veggies:



  • Red Onions (we have white)

  • Tomatoes

  • Carrots

  • Beans

  • Peas

  • Spinach

  • Brussels sprouts

  • Celery

  • Leeks

  • Rhubarb

  • Potatoes

  • Red peppers

  • Cucumber

  • Lettuce

  • Patty Pans

  • Courgettes

  • Chickpeas

  • Asparagus

  • Beetroot

  • Ginger

  • Parsnip

  • Sweet potato

  • Chillies

  • Chicory

  • Peppadews (a South African discovery, see the link provided)

I cant wait to start sampling my fresh produce, but a lot of work, watering, and waiting still lies ahead! Wish me luck.


And please send suggestion on what to grow.

No comments: